Thursday, October 16, 2008

They Come At Night (My personal strugle with OCD)




Ok,
Have you ever been Ripped off? It's a really crappy feeling. Someone has Violated your space and taken something that belonged to you. Well It happened to me last week. I had a political sign stolen from under my nose (well OK it was in my front yard).
Disclaimer: I have purposely withheld the political affiliation of the sign to protect neutral integrity of this site, besides, it doesn't have anything to do with the story.
So any way, I go and get another sign and wonder how I can make it last more than 3 days? I wanted to catch those little B#st*rds in the act! I searched the hard drive back to my Post High School days and remembered how we set a trip wire to sound an alarm and a light, out at the "Farm". (I chose to not discuss what type of "Crop" we were trying to protect from those thieving Varmints).
To make a long story short. I devised a trip wire with some 50Lb. test "Power Pro Super Line" It's a little bigger diameter than Hair with all kinds of tinsel strength. I Duct Taped (In honor of my father) one end of the line to the sign and tied the other end to my well cap. To that line I made a three way over to my now disassembled door bell button. I connected the wires to each side of the jaws of a clothespin. and keep the clothespin (electrical contacts) separated by a small piece of rope.
When they grab the sign it rings my doorbell and they can run about three feet before the sign gets ripped out of their hands. While they are sitting there going "WHAT DA FAAAA". I can spring to action upon hearing my doorbell ring.
Consider this Blog to be the command post (HQ) and I will report back to you as information becomes available.
By the way, it's been about 15 years since I've "Sprung" into anything that remotely resembles action, so I'll let you know how that goes.
Night Hunter......Signing off.....
P.S. Supreme Commander has informed me that It's more a strugle with paranoia than OCD.
I don't know if she can be trusted any more???????

2 comments:

Ann said...

I think Supreme Commander is all-knowing.

Eric goes to school with the Nixa School Superintendent's son. The Superintendent's son is a HUGE supporter of one of the candidates for president, even acting as a "Youth Coordinator" at the school (or something like that). A few weeks ago, as a prank, a number of young juvenile-delinquent wanna-bes in the area (Eric has taken the Fifth on this) stole about 30 yard signs supporting the opposing candidate from various yards around town and transplanted them in the Superintendent's yard. Eric thought it was HILARIOUS -- that is, until I told him people have to actually pay for those things. To his credit, he did have a twinge of conscience....

Judy said...

I am very impressed with Andy's ingenuity, but it wouldn't it be easier to just get a bigger dog?
ms